Skip to main content

Table 3 Estimated population size required to identify a truncation mutant in some TILLING populations* (Modified from Parry et al. 2009 [32])

From: A diploid wheat TILLING resource for wheat functional genomics

Species Ploidy Frequency of mutation Population size used Population size required Reference
Arabidopsis diploid 1/300 kb 3 072 18 000 Greene et al. 2003 [20]
  diploid 1/89 kb 3 712 5 340 Martin et al. 2009 [34]
Sorghum diploid 1/526 kb 768 31 560 Xin et al. 2008 [11]
Rice diploid 1/294 kb 768 17 640 Till et al. 2006 [51]
  diploid 1/135 kb 767 8 100 Suzuki et al. 2008 [49]
Barley diploid 1/1000 kb 9 216 60 000 Caldwell et al., 2004 [6]
  diploid 1/374 kb 4 906 22 440 Talame et al. 2008 [7]
Einkorn wheat diploid 1/92 kb 1 532 5 520 This study
Durum wheat tetraploid 1/40 kb 768 2 400 Slade et al., 2005 [12]
  tetraploid 1/51 kba 1 386 3 060 Uauy et al., 2009 [13]
Arabidopsis tetraploid <1/100 kb 528 6 000 UC Davis Genome Center
Bread wheat hexaploid 1/24 kb 1 152 1 440 Slade et al., 2005 [12]
  hexaploid 1/23-38 kbb 2 348 1 380 Dong et al., 2009 [25]
  hexaploid 1/38 kba 1 536 2 280 Uauy et al., 2009 [13]
Oat hexaploid 1/20-40 kb 2 550 1 200 Chawade et al. 2010 [17]
  1. *at 95 % probability in some TILLING populations, assuming 5% of the mutations being non-sense.
  2. anormalized to 50% G/C content.
  3. bdepending upon cultivar and EMS treatment.